Wondrous Health Benefits of Onions
Onions have many uses. Causing tears, warding off vampires (or unwanted dates), or being picked off of your burgers. But that is not all! Check out our list below to learn about some wondrous health benefits of onions!For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammations and heal infections.
- The phytochemicals in onions along with their vitamin C help improve immunity.
- Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- Raw onion lowers the production of bad cholesterol (LDL), thereby keeping your heart healthy.
- A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to help fight cancer cells.
- Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
- Onions host free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing tummy pains.
Guess what is a KEY ingredient to our salsas? ONIONS!!!
To maximize your health benefits, peel off as little of the fleshy, edible portion as possible when removing the onion’s outermost paper layer. Even a small amount of “overpeeling” can result in unwanted loss of flavonoids. Additionally, try to consume at least one-half of a medium onion on that day.